Major General (retd.) M.I. Karim psc, awc 1924-2018
Mohammed IskanderAl-Karim, graduate of La Martiniere College, Kolkata, was commissioned in the British Indian Army in 1945, where he fought for the British Empire in Europe. He retired as a 3-star Major General of the armored core in 1973, and founded Vantage Group in 1974.
With his limited acumen in business, but high intelligence, perseverance and many international contacts, M.I. Karim established one of the largest international trading companies in Bangladesh in 1974. He saw many opportunities in demand for specialised products and services, as well as demand for variety for infrastructure.
He spearheaded many successful ventures, from the supply of fertiliser to special vehicles. He undertook contracts to build numerous armed force installations, which required a combination of foreign equipment and technical know-how.
Major General M.I. Karim’s contribution in construction through Vantage Engineering & Construction remains a landmark in the field of underground gas pipeline and high-voltage cable installations. The cross-country 280km, 24” gas pipeline between Koilashtila, Sylhet to Ashuganj, Comilla, and the 132Kv/33 kv UG HV cable network in Dhaka City were both large and challenging projects, but were successfully completed within time and budget.
“Vantage Group of Companies was initiated under Vantage International Limited on the year 1974 in Bangladesh under the Companies Act, 1913.
With the growing increase of development activities in Bangladesh, technical and back-end support was required from overseas contractors to successfully undertake and complete a high volume of turnkey projects.
Thus the first engineering division of the group, Vantage Engineering & Construction Ltd. was founded in 1988 in Bangladesh under the Companies Act, 1913.
Since inception, Vantage Engineering & Construction Ltd. has developed a trusted and reliable construction company by building lasting relationships with our principals, clients, employees, suppliers and contractors. Vantage Engineering Ltd. & Construction started with cross-country gas pipeline contracting with SIPEM. After which the company undertook high voltage cabling projects with Pirelli and BICC. The company then assumed local responsibilities for foreign EPC companies in the power industry, particularly:
- High voltage (HV) Transmission lines
- Underground (UG) cable laying
Vantage gp, construction company in Bangladesh has built up and maintained excellent relationships between client and suppliers. Over the years, Vantage gp has moved down to undertaking projects in the Railway, Infrastructure, Energy & Environment Industries. It has also established its own manufacturing operations.
The group’s first manufacturing operation was Gauss Magnetics & Electronics Ltd. (GMEL), which was was initiated in 1994, with the aim to provide energy meters and miniature transformers to a growing energy distribution market in Bangladesh. GMEL was one of the first companies to ship electro-magnetic equipment to Germany and the United States.
Vantage Electrical and Electronics Ltd. (VEEL) was incorporated in Bangladesh under joint Stock Companies on May 28, 1998 under the Companies Act, 1994. The company aimed to provide cost effective and reliable power supply equipment to industrial, business and residential users a full-fledged electrical & electronics company. VEEL has achieved ISO-2009:2000 certification, and has grown over the years from a small company of seven people into a major manufacturing company in Bangladesh, consisting of a work force over 79 employees.
Vantage Technologies Ltd. (VTL) was incorporated in March 2001, under the Companies Act, 1994 to provide infrastructural promotional services for projects which included hi-tech equipment and technology installation. Being the most adaptive of all the Group Companies by design, VTL branched into the field of training and education. The company partnered with Larsen & Toubro (L&T) to setup one of the first premier welding and engineering institutes of Bangladesh. As of 2018, VTL has ventured into Renewable Power and Environmental projects as well as IT/ITES projects to further address changing needs of the Bangladeshi market.
Today Vantage Group of Companies (Vantage gp), construction company in Bangladesh is known as the most reputed, trusted and fast growing local partner in Bangladesh, playing the a strong role in creating markets, opportunities and sustainable growth and value for all stakeholders in different sectors. With over 40 years of work under our belts, and a network of global contractors in a variety of business sectors, Vantage gp continues to learn, and build from this experience.
To download the Brochure, Please click the image below:
Vantage Engineering and Construction Ltd.
Transmission and Distribution
Energy and Environment
Vantage Technologies Ltd.
Water & Environmental Solutions
IT/ITES and IoT solutions
Vantage Electrical and Electronics Ltd.
HT/LT Switchgear, Power Factor, Improvement Panel
AVR, IVR, UPS, IPS
Gauss Magnetics and Electronics Ltd,
- VTL Awarded largest Meghnaghat-Madunaghat (214 km) & Madunaghat-Matarbari (92 km) 400kV double circuit transmission line project of PGCB in association with KEC International Ltd., India.(2019)
- Awarded turnkey construction contract of 210 km 132kV double circuit transmission line in Power Grid Company of Bangladesh under two nos. tenders financed by KfW, Germany (2017)
- Awarded 5 nos. 132/33kV substation project in Power Grid Company of Bangladesh under JICA financing in association with KEC International Ltd., India (2016)
- VEC awarded Design, Supply, Erection, Testing and Commissioning of 68 km 400kV Ashuganj-Bhulta double circuit transmission line in association with KEC International Ltd., India. The project includes tallest river crossing tower in Bangladesh over the river Meghna. (2014)
- VEC awarded Design, Supply, Erection, Testing and Commissioning of 70 km 230kV Barisal-Bhola-Borhanuddin Transmission Line in association with KEC International Ltd., India (2011)
- VEC awarded turnkey construction contract of Ashuganj 225MW combined cycle power plant in association with consortium of Daewoo International Corporation and Hyundai Engineering of Korea. (2010)
- VTL awarded 255 nos. luxurious buses from BRTC in association with DAEWOO Bus Corporation of Korea. (2009)
- VEC awarded turnkey construction contract of Baghabari 70MW barge mounted power plant in association with Westmont v BHd of Malaysia (2007)
- VEC started working on high voltage substations and signed contract for design-Build & Turnkey contract for extension of 230 KV Substation at Ishurdi in association with Larsen & Toubro Ltd. of India (2006)
- VEC signed Contract for turnkey construction of Rongdhonu Complex, a 6 storied commercial complex at Mirpur, Dhaka (2004)
VEC awarded all civil works at administrate building and two nos. control building including piling, all electrification works at Lafarge Surma Cement Factory at Chattak, Mowlvibazar in association with Larsen & Toubro Ltd. of India. (2002)
Both GME and VEL achieved prestigious ISO 9001-2000 certificate for quality management system. (2002)
- VEC awarded all civil works at administrate building and two nos. control building including piling, all electrification works at Lafarge Surma Cement Factory at Chattak, Mowlvibazar in association with Larsen & Toubro Ltd. of India Both GME and VEL achieved prestigious ISO 9001-2000 certificate for quality management system. (2001)
- Incorporated Vantage Electronics Ltd. (VEL) as a private limited company which was a unit of Vantage Engineering & Construction Ltd., with scope to manufacture and sale power supply and power correction products both for domestic and industrial use. Subsequently the company acquired leading position of similar product manufacturers in Bangladesh. (1998)
- VEC awarded Turnkey Construction of 1200mm dia Ductile Iron Sewer Force Main from Narinda Sewer Lift Station to Saidabad Trunk Sewer Main under Urgent Sewerage Rehabilitation & Expansion Project of DWASA (1997)
GME Started exports to USA. Achieved VDE of Germany approval for printed circuit transformer. Achieved UL and CSE approval for all coil products. (1997)
- VEC awarded Construction of Valve Stations, Scraper Stations with RCC Pile Foundation, Access Roads etc. In Ashuganj – Bakhrabad Gas Pipe Line Project for Gas Transmission Co. Ltd. in association with McConnel Dowell of Australia. (1996)
- GME Participated in Single Country Festival held in Osaka, Japan and secured tremendous response from SONY and Toshiba Inc. of Japan. (1995)
Achieved Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL) and CSE of USA approval for printed circuit transformer. (1995)
- VEC Started construction work of Sewerage pipeline work, 1st project was Chittagong Port Sewerage Pipe Line project (1994)
Incorporated Gauss Magnetics & Electronics Ltd. (GME), as a private limited company. Shifted to new industrial building of BSCIC located at Mirpur. (1994)
- VEC Started turnkey building construction work and the 1st project was construction of academic building of Shahjalal University of Science & Technology at Sylhet (1993)
- VEC Started construction turnkey construction of roads and bridges. Successfully completed number of projects with utmost reputation. (1992) GME Awarded the Quality Supplier of Electronics Components by American Zeltler lnc. (1992)
- VEC Started overhead transmission line work. Singed contract in association with China Water and Electric Corporation (CWE) for 230kV Ghorashal-Haripur-Hasnabad transmission line project under greater Dhaka Power Distribution Phase-III. (1991)
VEC Started gas pipeline construction work. Signed contract in association with Saipem SPA of Italy for construction of 225 km North-South Gas Pipe line from Ashuganj to Kailashtilla. (1990)
GME Qualified and received permission to use the Bangladesh Standard & Testing Institute (BSTI) Mark. Joined the Bangladesh Electronics Manufacturers Association. (1990)
- VEC Started underground cable line work with signing contract for installation of 132kV oil filled & 33kV XLPE Cable under greater Dhaka Power Distribution Phase-IIA in association with Pirelli Construction Co. Ltd. of Italy. (1989)
- Formation of Partnership Company in the name and style of Gauss Magnetics & Electronics. (GME) Establishment of factory in Dhaka for production of printed Circuit Transformers for the local market.(1989)
- Incorporated Vantage Engineering & Construction Ltd. (VEC) as a private limited company under Companies Act 1913. (1988)
Scope of Work
Vantage Engineering and Construction Ltd.
Vantage Technologies Ltd.
Vantage Electrical & Electronics Ltd.
Gauss Magnetics and Electronics Ltd.
Address:Latif Tower, Level-11, 47, Kawran Bazar,Dhaka-1215 Bangladesh.